Saturday, August 30, 2003

They Say It's My Birthday

They say I'm turning 50 today. (I know, I don't write like I'm a day over 30). One thing about having your own blog is that occasionally you can be self-indulgent and write about whatever you feel like.

I find this very hard to believe.... That it's my 50th birthday. Twenty years ago I was only 30, an age I still feel very close to. But 20 years from now, I'll be....Well, I don't really want to think about it. I mean, I'm still a very young, cool dude...despite what my teenage children think.

At this age, you finally have to admit that you're starting to approach the dawn of early middle age. And it's at this time in life that I really start to realize that:

-- I will probably never play center field for the Dodgers.

-- It's becoming increasingly unlikely that I will ever be President of the United States. Even my senatorial aspirations are looking a bit shakey.

-- I probably won't be the lead singer in any band playing RFK Stadium

-- My academy award chances may be slim -- even for one of those lifetime achievment awards.

So what do I have to show for myself? If "It's a Wonderful Life" were made about me, what would the world have looked like without me?

And what can I contribute for the rest of my productive years? How will my children see me?

Is it time to finally face my deepest fear. Actually my deepest fear is that by the time we get another Dem in the White House, I'll be 55 (or if we have another Reagan-Bush three term thing, I'd be.....Well, I don't really want to think about that either.

This is the time to put all of those day-to-day issues aside and try to find the answers to these and other difficult existential questions.

But this is also the time when a Sopranos rerun is on T.V. I can always contemplate again on my 55th birthday.

P.S. If your really want to get me a present....All I'm asking for is to GET GEORGE BUSH OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE NEXT YEAR.