Sunday, August 13, 2006

Closing In On The Empty Nest

Back from a short vacation in California with the extended family, and a couple of days in Florida depositing Daughter #2 at college. Still one son to go -- three years from now -- before we're officially empty nesters.

And what an exciting week it was! Lamont defeats Lieberman, encouraging Al Qaeda to plan a dasterdly hair gel and toothpaste attack on the US, just as Dick Cheney predicted after Lieberman's defeat. Unfortunately, with all the flying I did, I failed to get much reading done, sitting nervously next to a 10-year old girl who had somehow evaded security with her lip-gloss in hand. Luckily it failed to detonate; nevertheless I felt it my patriotic duty to report her and her parents to Homeland Security anyway. Meanwhile, despite my long absence, the longest, most painful labor in history -- also known as "the birth pangs of a new Middle East" -- seems to be continuing.

Anyway, it's good to be back on the ground, safe and secure in Washington DC, having confirmed by the precipitous fall in my site visits that you missed me, you really missed me.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program....