Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Brian Baird: Smart Person in Congress

I attended the CSPI's "INTEGRITY IN SCIENCE: Corporate and Political Influence On Science-based Policymaking" conference today. A very good review of how the Bush administration and corporate America are politicizing and distorting the scientific process, thereby undermining the basis and support for regulatory protection from workplace chemicals, environmental degredation, food and drug safety, etc.

One of the highlights of the conference was a speech by Congressman Brian Baird (D-WA). But I'm tired and science blogger Chris Mooney, who was also there, does a great job describing Baird's speech. I agree with Chris's statement, "At the end of the talk, I found myself thinking, gee, you almost forget sometimes that there are actually smart people in Congress."