Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Guess What? Business Associations Don't Like John Kerry

Big surprise:
Jeffrey Uhlenburg, president of Donovan Heat Treating Co. of Philadelphia, said he's glad the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the National Association of Manufacturers are making it so clear so early that they want President Bush re-elected.

"I feel they are taking a strong stand, but for good reasons," Uhlenburg said. "As a business owner, I've seen some of the best tax relief ever in the last four years. I like what I see, and I'd like it to continue."
So what's the problem? According to the National Federation of Independent Business, here is where Kerry went wrong. He voted "wrong" on:
  • An amendment to block funds for a proposal making it easier to exempt employees from overtime pay.
  • The Jobs and Growth Act of 2003, which reduced taxes, including several on small businesses.
  • An amendment to permanently extend the repeal of the estate tax.
  • A bill to impose various health insurance mandates, including which benefits must be provided by health plans.
  • An amendment to shield employers from liability from the health care insurance they provide employees.
  • The Tax Relief Act of 2001, which reduced all income tax rates and gradually repealed the estate tax.
And last, but certainly not least for Confined Space readers:
  • A resolution stating the ergonomics rule submitted by the Clinton administration had no force or effect.
As Franklin Roosevelt said, “I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”

So far, Kerry's on the wrong side of the right people.