Saturday, March 04, 2006

Workplace Safety -- The Bloggers Who Blog It And The Women They Love

But enough about workplace death, political corruption and industry callousness. Let's talk about me.

Occupational Safety has an article about workplace safety and health bloggers -- all two of us, me and John Lowe at "Impact Analysis" -- (apologies to Mine Safety Watch and Brooklyn Dodger).

Check it out for a little insight into what makes us bloggers tick -- or not (aside from the fame, fortune and endless groupies), and wherein I get to whine:
When asked about the relative dearth of safety sites, neither blogger hesitated to explain: time.

"Having a blog is time-consuming, to say the least," said Barab, who has worked in the safety industry for more than 20 years, including 16 years as the director of AFSCME's health and safety program and a stint as an OSHA official during the Clinton administration. Like most bloggers, he maintains his site during off-hours from his day job, writing sometimes hours per day. "Usually I'll take at least one day a week off, here or there," he said. "My wife calls it my second job--my second unpaid job."