Thursday, May 27, 2004

I Blog, Therefore I Am

Never have so many people written so much to be read by so few.

Ever wonder what the glamorous life of the blogger must be like? Well, behind the fame, wealth and beautiful women that one usually associates with us big-time bloggers, the New York Times reveals a private, darker side.
Blogging is a pastime for many, even a livelihood for a few. For some, it becomes an obsession. Such bloggers often feel compelled to write several times daily and feel anxious if they don't keep up. As they spend more time hunkered over their computers, they neglect family, friends and jobs. They blog at home, at work and on the road. They blog openly or sometimes, like Mr. Wiggins, quietly so as not to call attention to their habit.

"It seems as if his laptop is glued to his legs 24/7," Ms. Matthews said of her husband.
In fact, for some, blogging can become an addiction:
Where some frequent bloggers might label themselves merely ardent, Mr. Pierce is more realistic. "I wouldn't call it dedicated, I would call it a problem," he said. "If this were beer, I'd be an alcoholic."

Mr. Pierce, who lives in Hollywood and works as a scheduler in the entertainment industry, said blogging began to feel like an addiction when he noticed that he would rather be with his computer than with his girlfriend.
But not me. No sir. I don't have a problem. I can stop any time. Really. Whenever I want. I just don't choose to stop right now. But I could if I wanted to.